Lok Sabha passed the Agriculture bill, both The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce Bill, 2020, and the Farmer’s agreement of price assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020. Whereas, the Lok Sabha had earlier passed the third Essential Commodities Bill.
Now the three bills will be presented in the Rajya Sabha and after passing, will become laws.
Narendra Singh Tomer (Union Agriculture Minister) on Thursday had put the Agriculture Bill in Lok Sabha, assuring the members that the Farmers will receive better prices for their produce. He also added that the minimum support price for farmers will also continue.
The opposition parties call the bills “Anti-Farmer”. Harsimrat Kaur Badal ( Minister of Food Processing industries) also resigned on the passing of bills. Her resignation is accepted on Friday by the President and Narendra Singh is given her charge.
She was the only Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) representative in the Modi Govt. Her husband Sukhbir Singh Badal (SAD Chief) said the party will remain the part of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) even on opposing the legislation.
WHAT GOVERNMENT IS SAYING ABOUT THE BILL:
- Private sector investment in agricultural infrastructure and supply chain will increase agricultural growth for farm produce at the national and global levels.
- The bills will help in strengthening the economy and generate more employment.
- The bills will not override the Agriculture Produce Market Committee (APMC) Acts of the States, said Narendra Singh.
- Under APMC legislation, the bills are intended towards a barrier-free, inter & intrastate, and commerce outside the physical market premises as well.
- PM Narendra Modi appraised the bills and said they will free other middlemen farmers.
But the Farmers think otherwise. Despite Government reassurances, they believe the bill leaves the MSP support system ineffective, and eventually, they will live on the pity of “Big Farmers” only.
Hence, they are conducting a 3-day protest on 24-26 September against the bill which will be a ‘rail roko’ agitation in the state.
Also Read about: Dr. Reddy’s Sputnik V Vaccine deal with RDIF